Hey Honey

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:53 am

I've got a shit load of honey. About 6 gallons just harvested from two hives we keep. I try to use honey in place of sugar for just about everything, but 6 gallons is rather a lot, unless I take a bath in it :nutters:

It's very rich and dark honey, almost smoky flavor to it. Any suggestions for good uses of a fermented nature (obviously mead) for very dark strong honey?
Corporal Mickp
mickp

Re: Hey Honey

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:38 pm

I'm in a similar situation with a 5 gallon bucket of blackberry/fireweed mix. I can't make a decent mead to save my life, so I'm thinking about how to use it in beer.

I came up with an idea to use it in parti-gyle (sp?) recipe. Brew a big beer like an Old Ale and take the last of the runnings to make a smaller beer that I add the honey to (Braggot). Anyone ever try something like this? I want to try this, but would bag the experiment if the consensus is that it would taste like crap.
Sour/Brett Beer Fermenting: Lambic, Kreik, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse, Orval, English Stock Ale
On Tap: nothing
Next on Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, American ESB and Sweet Cider
Next to Brew: Belgian Tripel and Dark Strong Ale
MikeB

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:23 pm

Mike-

Go for it.
Or just give some of it to me. :D
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:41 pm

Ahh-ha! Searching for braggot recipes on line wasn't real inspiring. So, I went through my books. Most of the recipe books have some meads in there, but not many braggots. Then my eye alighted on My Favorite Homebrew Book Ever...Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing and, what ya know, a whole chapter on honey! Several recipes and inspiration to go beyond. Sweet. My next but one batch will be one of these.

+1 (again) for Mr Mosher.
mickp

Return to Brewing Ingredients