Yeast for S. English brown

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:34 am

Taking suggestions for yeast. My club has a 7 barrel system we use for group brews. Somehow Southern English brown, the rarest of all BJCP styles, was picked for the next brew. Since I will probably not have the chance to get my hands on any of the commercial examples, I was hoping to tap the BNArmy for advice. Any suggestions besides run-of-the-mill 002 or 1968? Still would need to be something available for purchase.
Effingbeer

Re: Yeast for S. English brown

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:47 am

7 barrel! Sounds more like a brewery and less like a club. There's been a lot of love going around for West Yorkshire Yeast from wyeast. Jamil likes it, so of course everyone else likes it.
hoodie

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:16 pm

What's wrong with 002? It's my go-to yeast for sub 1.050 English beers, including Southern Brown.
siwelwerd

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks to the craft beer bubble pop in the 90s, we got ahold of a pretty decent system. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a permanent home and only gets pulled out 1 or 2 times a year. The summer event we call Firebrew because when we first got it, we didn't have a burner and used a giant bonfire.
Also taking specialty malt suggestions. Hops will probably be a little EKG.
Effingbeer

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:18 pm

siwelwerd wrote:What's wrong with 002? It's my go-to yeast for sub 1.050 English beers, including Southern Brown.

Nothing wrong with it, there will just be about 40 people with 5-10 gallon batches which we will be sampling at club night. Looking to stand out a little without doing something crazy.
The club has stalled a bit in the last few years with a lot of new people who aren't that active yet, and JP would revel in the fact that most of them make borderline undrinkable beer. I generally hate tasting night. (tonight is maibock competition, my mouth will taste like diacetyl and sulfur for a week) I am hoping to help build up the club to its previous glory and generate discussion. And if anybody from the club reads this, I hope they don't get hard feelings...
Last edited by Effingbeer on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Effingbeer

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:34 pm

You could keep it easy with safale-S04 dry yeast if desired. Flocs well and has an average attenuation. I have made a great southern brown with it in the past.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:55 pm

Looking for something different. See the last response.

brewinhard wrote:You could keep it easy with safale-S04 dry yeast if desired. Flocs well and has an average attenuation. I have made a great southern brown with it in the past.
Effingbeer

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:39 pm

hoodie wrote:7 barrel! Sounds more like a brewery and less like a club. There's been a lot of love going around for West Yorkshire Yeast from wyeast. Jamil likes it, so of course everyone else likes it.

+1 I use this yeast exclusively for English beers. I love it
PFC BN army
Hardcore

Next

Return to Brewing Ingredients