Re: Apple Juice in Beer

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:20 pm

I use a few ounces of lactose. Works like a charm. Or I guess you could try mashing super high at like 156-158 F. Either way.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:01 am

SoCalBoomer wrote:you could get some potassium sorbate or campden tabs and then put some in at the point where it has the taste you want.

We did that with a mead - let it ferment to the point it had the balance of sweet/dry that we wanted and then stopped the yeast. . .

just an idea. :jnj

Thanks for the tip, so a campden tablet will halt fermentation? I might try adding a little more juice after it is halted if I cant pick up on any of the apple.

Do you happen to know if the campden will cause any off flavors if added during fermentation?
Joe

http://www.westcoastbrewer.com/ West Coast Brewer
westcoastbrewer

Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:36 pm

Campden does not halt fermentation, at least not right away. It sort of stuns the yeast and prevents them from reproducing, without killing them. So you need to use it in advance of when you want the fermentation to quit. It does indeed add a slight chalky sort of bitterness, but that will fade with a little age.

I still say, just throw in a little lactose. It's a lot easier and much more predictable than trying to stun yeast with Campden. That said, Campden can work and a lot of people do it for wine, mead, and cider. So...
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Previous

Return to Brewing Ingredients