Apple Juice in Beer

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:51 pm

Does anyone have any experience adding apple juice to beer in order to impart a very mild apple taste?

I am wonder about how much too add to a 5 gallon batch and if there are any pitfalls to watch out for?
Joe

http://www.westcoastbrewer.com/ West Coast Brewer
westcoastbrewer

Re: Apple Juice in Beer

Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:41 pm

I brew 2 gallons of beer and add a gallon of fresh orchard cider to make a 3 gallon batch. You could do the same for 5 gallons if you used like 3 gallons beer plus 2 gallons cider. Or 3.5 and 1.5. Anywhere in there is pretty good. If you went 4 plus 1 then the apple flavor would be more mild. I like a good cidery beer. Here's my recipe:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtop ... le#p662452
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:31 pm

westcoastbrewer wrote: to impart a very mild apple taste?

Keep in mind that after the juice ferments, it won't be an apple taste per say, but a cider taste. In the same way that wine rarely tastes 'grapey'... which sounds like a combination of grabby and rapey.

"Did you run into Ozwald at the store? How was he?"
"Man, he got all GRAPEY..."
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:43 am

I dislike that.

Suck a dick, Spidergraper.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:07 pm

I tried it once for an amber that I made around last thanksgiving, the results were very iffy. I'm not sure if the brew got infected (I don't think so because it didn't have any of the "normal" infection off-flavors) but the thing turned out really tart. It went from 1.050 to 1.010 and I think the wlp001 fermented out any sugars associated with the apples and left just that tart, apple kick.

If you get better results let me know, I was looking for some apple character and I'd love to know it worked for someone. :jnj
In the Keg
Scottish 60

In the Primary
Belgian Witbier
Dry Mead
Protesto

Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:45 pm

Protesto wrote:I tried it once for an amber that I made around last thanksgiving, the results were very iffy. I'm not sure if the brew got infected (I don't think so because it didn't have any of the "normal" infection off-flavors) but the thing turned out really tart. It went from 1.050 to 1.010 and I think the wlp001 fermented out any sugars associated with the apples and left just that tart, apple kick.

If you get better results let me know, I was looking for some apple character and I'd love to know it worked for someone. :jnj

Will do, do you know about how much juice or cider you added?

Thanks,
Joe
Joe

http://www.westcoastbrewer.com/ West Coast Brewer
westcoastbrewer

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:19 pm

It ended up being just under 2 gal
In the Keg
Scottish 60

In the Primary
Belgian Witbier
Dry Mead
Protesto

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:46 pm

you could get some potassium sorbate or campden tabs and then put some in at the point where it has the taste you want.

We did that with a mead - let it ferment to the point it had the balance of sweet/dry that we wanted and then stopped the yeast. . .

just an idea. :jnj
SoCalBoomer

Next

Return to Brewing Ingredients