Re: Biscuit malt

Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:14 am

It sounds like the OP might be describing a husky, perhaps astringent flavor. Could be from over-milling the grains, or bad mash pH, possibly. Assuming it's not the biscuit, which is still our first guess.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:56 am

It could be an off flavor from a mild contamination. Some molds can give a sense of dustiness.

Also, going off what dmtaylor said:
dmtaylor wrote:It sounds like the OP might be describing a husky, perhaps astringent flavor. Could be from over-milling the grains, or bad mash pH, possibly. Assuming it's not the biscuit, which is still our first guess.

When I try and drink my beers before they are ready sometimes they have an intense husky grain flavor like when you chew on raw malt and I could see that being described as dusty. If it's that all you need to do is let it cold condition longer. It's probably caused by a polyphenol that coagulates and settles out.

If it's astringent like oversteeped tea or like a very tannic red wine then you extracted tannins in the mash.
-"You want a beer?"
-"But it's 7am"
-"Scotch?"
ziggy

Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:23 pm

Yeah my glasses are clean. The good thing is, friends drained the keg so I only have a little left.
humpadilo

Previous

Return to Brewing Ingredients