Re: Gelatin

Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:08 am

Sooo gelatin in the keg just eliminates racking to a "bright tank" crashng and adding it then? I harvest so don't want it in primary before I pull my yeast. Six of one half-dozen of another?
Beer, what all good things are built upon!
Primary:
Lagering:
On tap: Wharfside Porter
On tap: Braw Jock
Planning: Sanguinity Amber Ale, Lauging Parrot Pale Ale, and Screaming Parrot IPA
brewindruid

Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:28 am

Yes. I cold crash my primary fermenter for 2-3 days, make up my gelatin solution and add it to a sanitized purged keg. I then rack the beer closed transfer through the outpost of the keg and the beer mixes well with the gelatin. Carb it up or store for later drinking.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:04 pm

Wonder if it has the same impact on flavor as filtering S'pose that couild be accounted for in recipe just the same. I love the closed transfer, been doing that a long time now and would never go back, it's one of the reasons I use a bright tank so to speak, very little exposure., and I use Better Bottles so I can pump up the volume too 8)
Beer, what all good things are built upon!
Primary:
Lagering:
On tap: Wharfside Porter
On tap: Braw Jock
Planning: Sanguinity Amber Ale, Lauging Parrot Pale Ale, and Screaming Parrot IPA
brewindruid

Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:16 pm

brewinhard wrote:Yes. I cold crash my primary fermenter for 2-3 days, make up my gelatin solution and add it to a sanitized purged keg. I then rack the beer closed transfer through the outpost of the keg and the beer mixes well with the gelatin. Carb it up or store for later drinking.

The only thing in that process I don't do is crash the fermenter. But I'm fermenting in conicals, I harvest the yeast off the cone & let it condition/d-rest for several days. Ie, it's settled out just about the same as cold crashing it. And I don't understand this concept of 'storing' beer. Is that between drinking it & pissing it out? :D

brewindruid wrote:Wonder if it has the same impact on flavor as filtering S'pose that couild be accounted for in recipe just the same. I love the closed transfer, been doing that a long time now and would never go back, it's one of the reasons I use a bright tank so to speak, very little exposure., and I use Better Bottles so I can pump up the volume too 8)

Not the same effect as filtering, but it does have a very slight flavor impact that's not hard to adjust for. That & filtering is a huge pain in the ass. Did it a couple times & would never even think of doing it again. Gelatin is super simple. The only downside is you lose a pint or so on the first pour. In my case, usually less.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Brewing Ingredients