Re: Help with a yeast experiment recipe

Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:45 am

Beer experiment

So I finally got a chance to try all 6 beers. Really they all make decent beers. I think that the lager yeast is going to be my new go to yeast for my IPA. I may mix the saison yeast with one of the other yeast (maybe cream ale?) for my raspberry wheat. The raspberry flavor is light and the sourness from the saison yeast may be a great addition. The colors varied slightly. All except the lager and saison were basically the same SRM. The saison was really yellow and clear and the lager was slightly darker than the rest. The others look pretty much like you would expect a blond to look like. Also I apologize about the notes but I started to get a little drunk while tasting. Also I had pictures but I can't figure out how to post them from my phone.

California Ale V 051- 1.010
•Good malty nose, with a lemony finish(?). Low bitter with a sweet mouth feel. Slight peppery taste.

English Ale 002- 1.006
•bit more bitter than the rest. Soft malt nose. A small citrus after taste. Has a biscuit flavor in the middle.

Belgian Saison II 566- 1.006
•almost an peppery nose (I'm a little drunk by the time I drank this one). A little sour, citrusy flavor. Pretty dry.

San Francisco Lager 810- 1.008
•really clean flavor. I should use this as my base for my IPA. Might need a bit more bitterness for IPA.

Cream Ale 080- 1.007
•slight Hefeweizen taste. Slight sweet mouth feel.

San Diego Super Yeast 090- 1.008
•Mild yeasty smell, light body. This was a reused yeast. I think I may have used it to many times. I think my yeast got a little infected.

I am overall happy with this experiment. I always knew that yeast changed the flavor but until I did this experiment, I never knew the extent of it. These were completely different beers.
humpadilo

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:01 pm

Awesome man! Thanks for sharing your results. Yeast choice most definitely has a huge impact on beer flavor/aroma and it is good to see people experimenting in this fashion. Did you find any of the yeast strains enjoyable and different enough to work further with them?
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:15 pm

I think I am going to try using the saison strain when I want a slight sour flavor. It seems like an easy way to get a sour beer. Also the lager is gonna be my new go to yeast.
humpadilo

Previous

Return to Brewing Ingredients