Re: South Seas Pale

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:48 am

Draconian41 wrote:El Tizzo, how is your Lulu's Peche Delirant tasting? This sounds remarkable. I also see you are fermenting out a Flanders Red. Im going to be doing a Flanders soon where Im going to use post boil Lacto only fermentation before pitching my Saccro.

sorry for the slow reply...I'm not very forum savvy...Unfortunately the peche delirant beer did not turn out well...it tasted good at first but I think I let the brett get too much oxygen and it ended up very acetic...this was my first dumper in over 20 batches...sad...The 6 lbs of peaches I used were from a friends tree that are honestly the best peaches I have ever eaten...I'm going to try again this year with a slight change in process and use a brett blend from Crooked Stave in Colorado...I think it will be a little cleaner flavor than the lambicus strain

The flanders is tasting quite good on the other hand...I used Jamil's method in BCS of fermenting partially with wlp001 (to about 1.022) then pitched a pack of wyeast roselare blend, some russian river dregs and an ounce of oak cubes soaked in port...it had a wicked looking pellicle (check the pic) for about a month then started to slow down...its about 4 months in the secondary and still has a small thin white pellicle

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 253&type=3
On Deck: porter, berliner weisse
Fermenting: xtra pale
In the keg/bottle: golden delicious apple cider, brown rice lager, german pils
EL TIZZO

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:53 am

Draconian41 wrote:You know, I really dont care for this beer. Even conservative usage of this hop imparts remarkable levels of flavor. The extreme fruity nature of this hop, in my mind, doesn't blend well with a blonde ale. The malt nature of the beer is very good, I just don't care for the blend of fruity hop and style in this beer.

That sucks...maybe its like citra and needs to be in a blend with other hops. I wonder if the lack of crystal type malts in your blond is to blame also...the steam I made had quite a bit of color and maybe that is whats toning down the hops for me...hmmm
EL TIZZO

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:30 pm

I guess its the price we pay for experimentation! Some turn out wonderfully...others...go the way of snail food. :aaron Im about to do a Golden Strong Ale using a split fermentation between East Coast Yeast Belgian Abbaye and White Labs Brett. Brux Trois. Can't wait for it!
Draconian41

Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:32 pm

Draconian41 wrote:I guess its the price we pay for experimentation! Some turn out wonderfully...others...go the way of snail food. :aaron Im about to do a Golden Strong Ale using a split fermentation between East Coast Yeast Belgian Abbaye and White Labs Brett. Brux Trois. Can't wait for it!

yup yup...that sounds tasty
EL TIZZO

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:29 am

This beer has aged quite nicely. In fact, I really didn't like it when it was super fresh. Now that the hops have settled, (beer has been kept in mini-fridge since carbonation completed) its actually quite delicious. Funny how beers do that.
Draconian41

Previous

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles