Re: Avery Brewing Co. Clones

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:04 pm

summy wrote:
apresskibrewer wrote:
and do some inferences for the mash temps.

Huh :?:

Sorry, probably drinking and posting.

I was just (trying) to say we will have to make some basic assumptions on mash temps.

I've let some wlp001/wyeast1056 run a little wild (before I had better temp control) and they got up into the low 70's... I can see this working out. Also, it probably helps them move through their fermentations purty quick.
ApresSkiBrewer
-
Siebel Fall '09 - BREW CREW.
ApresSkiBrewer

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:37 pm

Yeah, that makes sense. Probably need to mash pretty low also(148-150*) to get the beer to finish dry, especially with no added sugars.
Primary: Surley Bender
2ndary: ESB and Black Forest Stout (which has formed a pellicle, guess I'll ride it out)
On Tap:
Evin Twin
Belgian Stout
In Bottles:
Tasty's APA
Black IPA
Bourbon Barrel Aged RIS
S. English Brown
summy

Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:39 pm

Keep in mind that the levels of CO2 in Avery's fermenters are far higher than the levels of CO2 in our fermenters at home, and this helps suppress some of the ester formation. It will take some trial and error to get the correct temperature for your fermentations at home, but it will almost certainly be lower than 74F.
ChrisKennedy

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:52 pm

apresskibrewer wrote:I've let some wlp001/wyeast1056 run a little wild (before I had better temp control) and they got up into the low 70's... I can see this working out. Also, it probably helps them move through their fermentations purty quick.

I've done the same thing with my IPA. I start it at about 67F to pitch and then I let it naturally rise while sitting in a room that is held pretty steadily at 68F. I end up with an estery beer, but not unlike Avery's IPA. If you want a really clean beer then you will need to ferment lower, but I like the profile I get with wlp001 a bit high in temp.

BTW Thanks for this post!
Beer: It's better than a kick in the teeth.

Primary: none
Secondary: none
Bottled: none
On Deck: Hop Burst Denny's Rye
hullabrew2

Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:48 am

Here's to reviving an old thread! I'm going to attempt the Hog Heaven clone this weekend. Anyone have any idea on the mash temps. for this guy. I was thinking 150. Thanks!
alowell

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:20 am

BadRock wrote:I don't know the answers to these questions but you can probably get them answered by writing to steve@averybrewing.com. Just reference the recipes that were handed out during the February, Society for the Pursuit of Hoppiness meeting. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

As I mentioned here, contacting Steve is the way to go, they have no secrets and really interact well with us homebrewers.
BadRock
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:55 am

OK, bumping an old thread. Did anyone brew the IPA recipe Badrock posted? I agree that the early addition hops are not enough.
Amy feedback greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
Fritz
Beer makes you smart, drinking is art.
www.fritzbrew.com

Corporal BN Amy
Fritz Eye

Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:29 am

Big Tex wrote:I've been talking to Steve about their IPA and what Steve is telling me is that they mash at 149F. He mentioned to me that they ferment at 70F. 74F seems pretty high to me. Also, their house yeast strain comes from Wyeast 1028. And Yes... they do a 90 minute boil.

It also looks like they've reformulated the IPA's knockout hops. The IPA used to be Columbus, Centennial, Crystal and Simcoe.

So, 1028 then, not 1056 as recipe states. Big difference. I love these beers. I may have to scale down a bit to my mash tun capability. Piglet In Paradise?
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles