Re: Kolsch with honey malt.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:53 pm

I love Kolsch-

I don't think that a half pound in a 10 gallon batch will be detectable, but then I also think that you want a generally dry Kolsch and any sweetness should be subtle and really come as a byproduct of the low esters playing off the base malt, not so much from specialty malt additions.

Pay attention to the finish. It should be well balanced and overall have a sense of being a delicate beer overall. A very light tartness in the finish helps round out this beer. Depending on your water, a light restrained touch of acid malt can help dial it in.

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:51 am

BDawg wrote:I love Kolsch-

I don't think that a half pound in a 10 gallon batch will be detectable, but then I also think that you want a generally dry Kolsch and any sweetness should be subtle and really come as a byproduct of the low esters playing off the base malt, not so much from specialty malt additions.

Pay attention to the finish. It should be well balanced and overall have a sense of being a delicate beer overall. A very light tartness in the finish helps round out this beer. Depending on your water, a light restrained touch of acid malt can help dial it in.

HTH-

I build up RO since my water is awful. Small Texas town, water usually tastes and smells like shit. I'll mash around 150 and probably do a step mash just for the hell of it. I've made a few other beers with Kolsch yeast but they have been pseudo pilsners and I've enjoyed the hell out of them. I love this yeast. Honey malt will be the only specialty malt in the beer. I'm hoping it will give just that little bit of character to set it apart. If it's not something I feel should be submitted into competition then I'll just have 3 more beers to drink at home. Thanks for the advice so far!
EllisTX

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:58 pm

FWIW I dropped the honey malt. I'm just going with pilsner and a touch of wheat malt. Figured I'd quit trying to reinvent the wheel. Thanks for the help.
EllisTX

Previous

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles