Re: Bugeater's Carrot Cake Ale

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:32 pm

Bugeater wrote:I strain out the spices and just add the bourbon to the beer at bottling time. The spices themselves never actually get into the beer.

Wayne

I recently made this beer, however I tried using rum instead of bourbon. The base beer does not have any carrot flavor though. Does this beer get most of it's carrot cake flavor from the vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg infused bourbon?

I have only added the infused rum to a glass of the carbed version in a keg, so making a bourbon infusion like the original recipe called for, waiting two weeks, then adding it is no problem.

I just don't know why I'm not getting any carrot flavor??? Has anyone else tried making this recipe?
Skibbereen

Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:37 pm

I will be brewing my second version of this one next Friday (shhhhh....don't tell my work). I opted for 100% organic carrot juice (anywhere from 52-64 oz will give you a nice carrot aroma/flavor) added into primary after the fermentation has slowed. The first batch I brewed was for Christmas and with all of the holiday shenanigans going on in the house it was gone 3 wks after kegging. Everyone loved it and I even used the wrong yeast strain and it dried out too much. I since have adjusted the grain bill for my system to give me a bit more sweetness and body then the original recipe had (at least for my tastes). I am shooting for a sweeter dessert style beer with a fairly high finishing gravity (1.018-1.020 or so) in my next attempt. If you are interested in my adjustments then feel free to pm me and I will get back to you.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:50 pm

brewinhard wrote: I opted for 100% organic carrot juice (anywhere from 52-64 oz will give you a nice carrot aroma/flavor)....

If you are interested in my adjustments then feel free to pm me and I will get back to you.

Thanks Brewinhard.... That is what I was planning on doing for my second version too. I just didn't get much carrot flavor with the four lbs of carrots in the mash. I'll send you a pm...
Skibbereen

Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:54 pm

Great recipe, thanks for posting it! I had first time heard of Carrot Cake Ale.
VirginiaRooks

Previous

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles