Watermelon Wheat Beer

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:55 pm

My buddy and I want to do a Watermelon Wheat Beer. We have the recipe we want for the wheat beer part but are trying to figure out how to incorporate the watermelon. We were thinking about steeping the fleshy part of the watermelon in a muslin bag for 30 minutes prior to the boil then following our recipe from there. Once we move to secondary fermentation, we were then thinking of throwing few watermelon rinds in. Thoughts???

Rich

Octoberfest in secondary
bourbon oak aged IPA in secondary
Dry Hopped IPA in secondary
Flying Dog Raging Bitch on Tap
richweddle84

Re: Watermelon Wheat Beer

Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:14 am

No. Put 6 cups of watermelon juice in a secondary and rack the beer onto it after a week. Let it secondary for another week, then package.

Get a medium watermelon and cut it up. Put the pieces into a bowl and use a potato smasher to get the juice out of the melon. Then strain through a cheesecloth. Six cups per 5 gallons is what works for me.

No melon "flesh" and no rinds. Just the juice. Do not boil it.
twitter.com/GentleCuntPunch

If you take what I post here literally, you're retarded. I'm here to fuck around, have a good time, and learn about beer. You mean nothing to me and I mean nothing to you.
Adam

Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:43 pm

When I made mine, I put the meat of a watermelon in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer for a week or so. Then pushed it all through a funnel into a carboy, and racked the wheat beer on top of it. I let it sit there for about 4 or 5 days, then kegged. It came out very good, and was a big hit out our yearly beer festival.
-- Steve

Kegged: "Old Nimrod" American Barleywine
Kegged: Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Amber
linuxelf

Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:07 am

Sully chimed in on this thread, same topic: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25480&p=243898#p243898

Sergeant, Gulf Coast, Air Force Div.

Keeper of the :asshat: 2011-2012

"Push keeps shoving something in my mouth" Kim Woods

BJCP Judge
Whitebeard_Brewer

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles