Mandarina Bavaria Kolsch or Pilsner?

Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:01 pm

I was just going to make a pilsner, but then I thought that maybe I should make a kolsch instead (yeah, really going off the reservation with that one). Thoughts?
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Re: Mandarina Bavaria Kolsch or Pilsner?

Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:47 am

I just brewed up a Northern German Pilsner with a shit ton of Saphir hops (ala pivo pils - Firestone Walker). It is currently undergoing a diacetyl rest for a few days prior to kegging.

I also will be kegging up my Liberty Cream Ale this weekend and plan on repitching that yeast (WY 2565) into a classic kolsch.

I really like both styles you are mentioning. But the real question is - what yeast strain do you have available that is fresh and healthy to work with?
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:51 am

My local shop has Wyeast's line of yeasts. I usually use 2124 Bohemian Lager for lagers, and I've not done a kolsch yet so I would guess that I would just use 2565. If they don't have a pack of that, then I would have to figure something else out (or just make it as a pilsner).
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:08 am

If you've not made a kölsch yet, do that. I would always go for styles I haven't brewed before. be careful adding late hops tho, kölsch should have little to no fruity hop flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
juggabrew303

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles