How much syrup & brown sugar to keg?

Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:43 am

Does anyone have experience adding maple syrup and brown sugar into a corny befor kegging your beer? I would like to do this to my oatmeal Stout but I'm not sure exactly how much of each to add?
Would you recommend just adding it directly or mixing it with water and boiling it before hand?
RipCity

Re: How much syrup & brown sugar to keg?

Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:27 am

I think Maple Syrup is about 31 ppg, so if you were looking for 3 points of gravity in 5 gallons you would need

31 ppg / 5 gallons = 6.2 points / pound; then 3/6.2 * 16oz / pound = 7.7oz (by weight, about a cup).

Likewise for the brown sugar, I would imagine that is about 40ppg. So if you wanted to get 3 gravity points total for the carbonation, it would be

40 ppg / 5 gallons = 8 points/pound; then 3/8 * 16oz/pound = 6oz

So, if you wanted to do half the sugar from syrup and half from brown sugar, you would use 3.4oz syrup and 3oz of brown sugar. For the brown sugar, I would dissolve it in a bit of hot/boiling water before adding it to the keg.

You might want look up the amount of gravity points you need probably using an online calculators to tell you how much, if it tells you in corn sugar or table sugar then you can convert that back to gravity points in 5 gallons. Once you know that, you can calculate the amount you want.

Another way to look at it (and simpler) is just as ratios from what you get from an online calculator. If it says 4oz of corn sugar, then you could just adjust as compared to what you are using. So, for syrup:

4oz * ( 46ppg / 31ppg ) = 5.93oz

I hope I didn't make that seem too complicated, because it isn't. :aaron

http://homebrewexchange.net/resources/s ... rmentables
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks Natebrews. So my intention was to add the syrup and brown sugar right into the corny then rack my cold crashed beer into it then carbonate and fridge. Since I wont be fementing the sugars i was worried about making it too sweet. But I wanted to add enough to get some subtle flavors in the finished beer. My original plan was 16oz of syrup and 1/2 lb of brown sugar. But these are just shots in the dark.
RipCity

Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:52 am

Oh, sorry. I totally misinterpreted what you were going for there.

In that case, I have no idea. I think you will have to water down/dissolve those things if you want them to mix into the beer. Cold maple syrup and cold beer will probably not mix, and you'll get a cup of syrup out in the first pint and then it will be gone. I would go on the lighter side, you can always pour in a bit more if it isn't strong enough but it is hard to take it away.

Another option would be to keg it up and then run out a glass (or carb some up in a 2L bottle with a carbonator cap) and dose a glass to get it where you want and scale up to the full batch. That is probably the tact I would take.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:08 pm

Two excellent points. I will heed your advice to dissolve and experiment with the ratios before adding to the corny. Thanks!
RipCity

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles