Hook Norton Brewery Old Hooky

Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:45 pm

16.9oz bottle from Oxfordshire, UK says "Traditional English Ale." 4.6%ABV

I was looking for a nice English session beer and this did not disappoint. Caramel flavor from the crystal malts and a nice understated fruitiness from the yeast. Low hop aroma and taste. Poured with a nice creamy head. I don't know how fresh/old the bottle was. The code stamped on the bottle appears to be a lot number, so I have an e-mail going to Hook Norton for info.

There's some disagreement on BA about whether this is a Brown Ale, English Pale or ESB. Personally I don't care. It's a great example of the flavors and body I expect from an English Ale.
Corporal, BN Army, Southeastern PA Division
Vice President--Stoney Creek Homebrewers
TheTodd

Re: Hook Norton Brewery Old Hooky

Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:19 pm

Yo from England. I love you guys on here saying the likes of Old Hooky is a session beer. Their Hook Norton Bitter is a session beer, Old Hooky is a bit more special. Still I guess with all that double and triple IPA floating around you'd probably call anything below 6% a session beer!
I love Old Hooky and I'd say it's an ESB type.
Cheers
crezzer

Re: Hook Norton Brewery Old Hooky

Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:13 am

I second crezzer, and would classify this as an ESB. However this is an awesome beer for a session, absolutely love it!

Hook Norton is a great brewery, i don't think I've had a bad beer from them. I also love their 12 Days, this is an amazing dark nutty malty winter beer. So good!
:aaron
Sparge Pervert

Return to Beer Reviews