Millstream - Iowa

Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:51 am

These guys have been around for awhile, and locally don't get enough credit. They are putting out some fine brews, and now with better distribution, the beer you get in a store is always fresh. Also, with the new Iowa laws, they have started making higher alcohol beers as well. I was at their taproom last weekend and tried their 8.5% weizenbock on tap...amazing. Complex grains, not to sweet, and way too easy to drink, especially in 90 degrees and 100% humidty. If I stayed there any longer, I would've gotten pulled over, and of course my wife wouldn't have been happy. So I did what every responsible beer drinker does, took some to go.
My wife used to call me an alcoholic, so I started brewing beer. Now I have a hobby, and I'm a beer enthusiast, not an alcoholic.
Crinkle

Re: Millstream - Iowa

Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:57 pm

Crinkle wrote:These guys have been around for awhile, and locally don't get enough credit. They are putting out some fine brews, and now with better distribution, the beer you get in a store is always fresh. Also, with the new Iowa laws, they have started making higher alcohol beers as well. I was at their taproom last weekend and tried their 8.5% weizenbock on tap...amazing. Complex grains, not to sweet, and way too easy to drink, especially in 90 degrees and 100% humidty. If I stayed there any longer, I would've gotten pulled over, and of course my wife wouldn't have been happy. So I did what every responsible beer drinker does, took some to go.
Just off the beaten path if you Travel I-80 through Iowa. Tasting room and brewery are located in Main Amana in the Amana Colonies. A nice little tourist area and historical site of a religious commune. I enjoy their "Iowa Pale Ale"
peace, -CH
Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one, some are kinda shitty
cornhole

Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:35 pm

I lived in middle amana in the 90s and my mom used to work at the brewery in the bottling/packaging line....being that i was only in 6th grade when i left i never got to try the beer, but the root beer was great!

i would be willing to do an exchange if someone wants anything from the philly area.
Just fine,

Ryan
PFC, BN Army, Philly Division
http://www.barleylegalhomebrewers.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHxRmgRK8tU

Kegged: Chamomile Wit, Session Saison, Leffe Brune Clone, Honey Wheat, Janet's Brown
Bottled: Beet FEStout
Fermenter: Hopricot
brewranger

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:25 am

The girlfriend and I were planning on making a beer road trip around that area this fall. We'll be sure to stop there. Thanks.
"What a piece of work is man! How noble.....oh, fuck it, let's get a drink and forget the whole damned thing." -Mr. Newbury - Gross Pointe Blank
Scratchnsniff

Return to Beer Reviews