Re: Maui Brewing Coconut Porter.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:13 pm

Evan B wrote:This beer tastes a LOT like coconut. Problem is, people's perception of what coconut actually tastes like is thrown off. When people imagine, or expect coconut flavor, they think of artificial coconut flavor which is nothing like the real thing. REAL coconut, when toasted and put in to a beer, adds a nutty, non-fruity/non-tropical flavor that adds a very nice layer of complexity to complement the chocolately/roasty flavors of the beer.

Evan - My man who hooked my up with the LaFolie... :)

I gotta disagree with you. I've tasted coconut that I scraped out of a coconut and I just don't get it in this beer. Now I never toasted it before, but I didn't pick up the taste in the beer.
dunleav1

Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:47 pm

I love the smell in the brewery when they are roasting the coconut for this. I have only bought a few 4 packs to date (not including what I have sent to others) and only can drink one before moving on to something else - it has a very heavy body - might be better in colder weather. I go through more of the IPA and mostly spend my MBC can $ on the Bikini Blonde Helles - I can go through 6 of those doing yardwork (including mowing the lawn) without a problem. I am not a fan of the newly released "Mana Wheat". It uses pineapple, but it is hard to detect as well. My favorite Maui Brewing offerings are some of the small production runs the have only at the brewpub or tasting room. As it is over an hour away from home and I no longer work across the street from the brewpub, I only get to sample every month or so when I go over to pick up brewing supplies at the production facility since Maui Brewing is also our only brewing ingredient store on island - for that I thank making it possible to go all grain.

Craft beer selection is improving slowly here - recent additions over the past few months include Ommegang, Anderson Valley and Moylans. I still pray for Russian River to show up, but that still may be a long time coming, if ever.
bcmaui

Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:05 am

I think I get the beer pretty freash, I'm in so cal and buy it from a whole foods.
Now after reading more of thus thread I think perhaps I just don't fully understand the coconut flavor yet, I'm still workin on these things!
SpaceKadetKiwi

Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:27 pm

Evan B wrote:This beer tastes a LOT like coconut. Problem is, people's perception of what coconut actually tastes like is thrown off. When people imagine, or expect coconut flavor, they think of artificial coconut flavor which is nothing like the real thing. REAL coconut, when toasted and put in to a beer, adds a nutty, non-fruity/non-tropical flavor that adds a very nice layer of complexity to complement the chocolately/roasty flavors of the beer.

Evan - Congrats on the wedding by the way.
dunleav1

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:29 pm

I would agree with this as well.
Nate
http://www.nebraskabeerblog.com
Beers on tap-Schwarzbier, RyeIPA
BrewBum

Previous

Return to Beer Reviews