Maui Brewing Coconut Porter.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:17 pm

Wow. this a a great porter. deep rich roasty flavours, more malty than bitter. Slight hints of burnt coconut on the finish making this a very tasty beer! must try. and it comes in a can!

:bnarmy:
ResQ

Re: Maui Brewing Coconut Porter.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:34 am

I had a friend bring it back from Hawaii for me to try. This is a nice base porter but I really didn't get the coconut. I got a slick kind of finish.
I'd drink it again, but I would have a hard time drinking a couple after another.
dunleav1

Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:26 am

yea, its definately a single drinker for sure. Thats strange. I wonder how old yours was? I didnt get slick mouthfeel really, but it was a pretty slight coconut finish.
ResQ

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:45 pm

I typically only drink one ten move on to something else, but I think that's mor because they come in four packs (gotta make em last!)
I was very happy to find there is almost no coconut flavor, I'm not a fan. Which is why I was so surprised when I fell in love with this beer.
Any thoughts on widgets in beer? I think I would like hat in this.

Sorry for any typos-sent from iPhone.
SpaceKadetKiwi

Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:53 pm

if youre gonna advertise a coconut porter and it cost $13 for a four pack, i'd like to detect a hint of coconut. i get zero coconut, i do agree with some sort of slickness in the finish, but a slick finish and a coconut are not very close to the same thing for me. its a fine porter, just not a fine coconut $3.25/can porter. disappointed
Private BN Army,
Mini Batch Division.:bnarmy:

primary:
secondary:
bottled: Autumn Maple clone (came out awesome), and Jamil's baltic porter
kegged:
on deck: more beer ya dummy
straight cash homey

Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:47 am

Man, guys, I don't know what to tell you on this beer. Every time I have had it the coconut aroma is off the charts with a good bit of toasted coconut in the flavor. It isn't going to taste like a mounds bar or anything.

I personally hate coconut but love this beer and I think it is because it is toasted and the texture of coconut is what I despise.

I have one can left but it is pretty old so I can't really compare it. Maybe yours aren't fresh??

Bcmaui hooked me up air freight in a cooler on ice for mine that I won and it was very easy to detect coconut.
Nate
http://www.nebraskabeerblog.com
Beers on tap-Schwarzbier, RyeIPA
BrewBum

Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:57 pm

$3.25 a can? Ouch, that'd make me less inclined to enjoy this beer too. That price for 12oz had better include more alcohol and complexity than this beer offers.

That said, we sell this stuff out almost as quickly as we get it on the shelves, but part of the appeal may be that we sell it for 75¢ less per can than one might pay in areas farther north! ;) Most buyers are first-timers that are curious about the flavor, but we have returning fans as well. I'd agree, the coconut is flavor is well combined into the porter-ness of this beer, but I think it's noticeable enough to some of us that it lives up to its label.
________

Brew for the future.
Drink in the moment.
BierTodd

Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:02 pm

This beer tastes a LOT like coconut. Problem is, people's perception of what coconut actually tastes like is thrown off. When people imagine, or expect coconut flavor, they think of artificial coconut flavor which is nothing like the real thing. REAL coconut, when toasted and put in to a beer, adds a nutty, non-fruity/non-tropical flavor that adds a very nice layer of complexity to complement the chocolately/roasty flavors of the beer.
BN Army :bnarmy:
Evan B

Next

Return to Beer Reviews