Re: Aventinus Wheat-Doppelbock

Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:01 am

mediumsk wrote:Stan's Brewing with Wheat has alot of info on how to brew Aventinus as well as a recipe by percentage per the brewmaster. I haven't brewed the recipe but just from looking at the percentages, it seems a bit off, Aventinus has so many more sweet plummy port like notes than this malt bill would seemingly supply.

8.2%
ADF 82%
IBU 16

Pilsener, Wheat, chocolate

Magnums, and Hallertau

yeast is pitched at 61 and rises to 71-73 degrees

From what I remember, it's about 60% wheat, 7% chocolate malt (probably regular carafa not special, as I haven't seen other german roasted malts) and the remainder pils. it goes through a single decoction and open fermentation. Schneider insists both the open fermentation and the decoction are essential to their flavor.
EGADS! 3 MONTHS WITHOUT BREWING? MOVING YOU SUCK.... NEVER AGAIN

In Kegerator - Hopfen Weiss, Best Bitter
In Primary - Baby Baine Barleywine
Next up: Petite Saison
thatguy314

Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:05 pm

had a bottle of this the other night while discussing the legitimacy of the recipe that Schneider gave to stan for brewing with wheat.
the description on the back of the bottle mentions that the beer has notes of caramel malts, yet the beer purportedly contains only wheat chocolate and pils malt.
mediumsk

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:14 pm

Tasty & Jamil,

This thread is calling out to you ... Can You Brew It?
dunleav1

Previous

Return to Beer Reviews