Re: Saison Du Buff

Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:08 pm

Chupa LaHomebrew wrote:OK, now I have actually tried this so I will give a real answer. Opened a bottle with Angelo last night. I hate to be a style nazi on something like a saison, but I thought it was very big in all directions: too much body, too much spicing, and too bitter. It doesn't surprise me that those breweries want to do a beer like that, but it just didn't encompass the subtlety or complexity, or drinkability really, that I look for in a good saison. Judged as just a beer, I'd say it was pretty good and I would finish a glass, but not ask for another one. It's by far not the worst overspiced saison I've tried from a pro brewery.

really?!!!

I only hassle because I know you, but what have you had that is spiced more heavy handed?
Maybe I got a weird bottle or something ( stone version) but this stuff only seems good for marinating chicken in...
this is the first commercial beer I've poured out in 4 years
mediumsk

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:06 pm

I had the Buff in the Dogfish brewpub in Delaware. The aroma was strong herb, but not stronger to the hop aroma of an aggressively hopped IPA (comparatively speaking). I didn't get any Saison yeast smells, they are overpowered by the herbs. I thought the taste was well balanced- for sure not your average Saison.

I don't know the distribution of DFH limited runs or seasonal beers and how easily the army has access across to them the country. However, if you are blessed with rarer DFH beers, they are constantly pushing the envelope. They produce beers that are very flavorful and interesting. After you try them, you are glad you tried them, but few have the "give me more" effect.

IMO the Buff is balanced and an interesting beer, but if you are looking for a true Saison by the book experience, don't compare it to Buff. Historically Saison is a "seasonal" beer that Belgians used whatever was available to brew it. Maybe the 3 breweries grew loads of herbs and are using it in their collaborative "seasonal-saison" beer. I haven't read the BJCP guidelines, but they may be within the guidelines...
AaronWesternNY

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:01 pm

mediumsk wrote:
Chupa LaHomebrew wrote:OK, now I have actually tried this so I will give a real answer. Opened a bottle with Angelo last night. I hate to be a style nazi on something like a saison, but I thought it was very big in all directions: too much body, too much spicing, and too bitter. It doesn't surprise me that those breweries want to do a beer like that, but it just didn't encompass the subtlety or complexity, or drinkability really, that I look for in a good saison. Judged as just a beer, I'd say it was pretty good and I would finish a glass, but not ask for another one. It's by far not the worst overspiced saison I've tried from a pro brewery.

really?!!!

I only hassle because I know you, but what have you had that is spiced more heavy handed?
Maybe I got a weird bottle or something ( stone version) but this stuff only seems good for marinating chicken in...
this is the first commercial beer I've poured out in 4 years

The only one that comes to mind that was just a really, really good example of an overspiced, overly strong saison was an Avery anniversary ale, I think it might have beer the 7th or 8th anniversary. No offense to Avery, they make a lot of great beers, but that one was very bad. It tasted like graham crackers, is all I can say. Not sure what they spiced it with. But there have certainly been others that I have tried from breweries around here that are overspiced too. It's still pretty common.
Chupa LaHomebrew

Previous

Return to Beer Reviews