Saison Du Buff

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:40 pm

Holy hell this is gross!
and not even in a "certain taste's are subjective" sort of way.
Dry and spritzy, then just a touch of saison yeast fruit character, but overall this is a spice bomb. I get mostly overpowering sage and rosemary, very reminiscent of soap or your average aroma therapy candle.
If anyone likes this I would love to hear what they got out of it. It blows my mind that this was bottled.
mediumsk

Re: Saison Du Buff

Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:17 am

You're wrong. It's from DFH, Stone and Victory so it has to be awesome.
Chupa LaHomebrew

Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:38 am

I had it at a tasting at a Grape and Gourmet in VA Beach, and when it was described I thought that those herbs deserve to be rubbed on raw chicken and not in a beer. I remember it being awfully perfumey (musky). I am glad I bought a Saison Dupont (first time I ever tasted it) and it was great. Nothing like the Buff crap.
http://www.sceneembargo.com/Media/Music ... dy_Blades/
Greatest Band Ever! Download MP3s at site above.
passlaku

Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:41 pm

I know the recipes are supposed to be the same, but out of curiosity, which brewery brewed the one you had? I bought a case and will admit was disappointed, but it's still worth drinking. I've even got bottles from each brewery just to make sure I'd have a shot to try them all.

Will I buy it again? Na, probably not. But it's good enough for me to drink for the novelty value! Pairing with red Italian(-American) food works well (spaghetti, pizza, etc.).
Secondary:
Nothing :(

On Tap:
- Nothing :(
Dublicious

Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:37 pm

I had the "buff" at DFH in July. The aroma was nice (hoppy) but the taste.... blech. Not a chance in hell I will buy it!
I guess I'm not "off centered" enough.

Weenie Boy
Weenie Boy

Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:31 pm

Just cracked open a bottle. First wiff? Smells like cousin. It's on the edge of a spice bomb, but I knew that going in. I've had a LOT worse, however. They must have just waved the rosemary over the kettle - that shit is powerful. I get mostly sage in the flavor. Third sip... getting more pils malt character that finishes with a nice touch of sweetness that blends nicely with some residual hop bitterness. It's dry and spritzy like a good saison should be, however the similarities end there. I have to work real hard to pull out the spicy saison yeast phenolics from underneath the spices additions. All in all, I'd have to say that I'm less critical of this than some of the other posters. Would I buy another bottle of it? Probably not. But if I saw it on tap somewhere, I might order a glass. It's interesting and a conversation piece. Drinkable, but not in any kinda quantity.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:24 pm

OK, now I have actually tried this so I will give a real answer. Opened a bottle with Angelo last night. I hate to be a style nazi on something like a saison, but I thought it was very big in all directions: too much body, too much spicing, and too bitter. It doesn't surprise me that those breweries want to do a beer like that, but it just didn't encompass the subtlety or complexity, or drinkability really, that I look for in a good saison. Judged as just a beer, I'd say it was pretty good and I would finish a glass, but not ask for another one. It's by far not the worst overspiced saison I've tried from a pro brewery.
Chupa LaHomebrew

Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:39 am

I think what was important to me going in was to understand the purpose of the BUFF guys in general. While it's not an amazing beer, it's certainly an example of what they're going for. Don't be afraid to be bold and make beer you think might be good. Go over the top. Take risks with flavor and do not repent!

All-in-all, I would not have bought the case if found it somewhere else first. That's why I'm only buying 4-packs just so I got it from each brewery (it's kinda cool to me).

:jnj
Secondary:
Nothing :(

On Tap:
- Nothing :(
Dublicious

Next

Return to Beer Reviews