Brew Dog 5 AM Saint

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:22 pm

I've been interested in reds lately so I've been buying any I can find and recently found a 4 pack of 5 AM Saint from Brew Dog. I can't decide if it's the most unique of the bunch or just the worst. It has a flavor that I've never tasted in a beer before and can't really think of anything to compare it to. It's kind of a dirty, musty, caramel, spicy, very nearly off-flavor but none of the BJCP off-flavors match up to what I'm tasting. I had a look at their site and only a couple of the ingredients were unknown to me: Nelson Sauvin and Ahtanum hops but I'd have guessed the flavor was malt or yeast derived. Does anyone have experience with either of these hops and think they might be the cause of the unique flavor.
jm

Re: Brew Dog 5 AM Saint

Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:01 am

nelson sauvin tastes like white grape juice and onion to me. It's been a while since ive used ahtanum but I remember it as being somewhat citrusy without much focus
mediumsk

Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:03 am

Nelsons are one of my favorites right now. But I think some of what you are tasting as spicey might be coming from those, Used them for a dry hop in an APA and its not white grape in flavor its the inside of the white grape peel that tanniny peppery flavor.
PFC BN Army Southeastern PA Division
http://www.barefootlionbrewing.blogspot.com
BarefootLion

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:13 pm

I'm tasting my last bottle right now and now that you guys mention it those weird flavors I'm getting could be described as an onion powder, peppery sort of flavor.
jm

Return to Beer Reviews