Re: Bear Republic

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:14 am

Is it hard to have a hoppy beer ( let's say 60IBU ) in balance if you use just DME and steeping grains?
Jbug

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:46 am

Jbug wrote:Is it hard to have a hoppy beer ( let's say 60IBU ) in balance if you use just DME and steeping grains?

Not at all. If you think about it, extract is nothing more than dehydrated wort. You are buying somebody else's wort when you buy extract. Quality extract, properly prepared in a solid recipe, with a careful fermentation, will taste just as good or even better than maltreated AG wort. I've judged many extract beers that have won BOS and were absolutely fantastic.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:49 am

Yeah I'm pretty proud of my extract brews I've been doing.., my IPA was a hit, me and my buds drank almost a whole corny in a session... I've been wanting to enter something in a comp soon, my LHBS owner told me the Dixie Cup is coming up soon.., hope to enter but I'm gonna keep trying beers until I get an idea of something I wanna brew for comp
Jbug

Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:52 am

Maybe the chicha beer, I'm sure the judges would love that bahahaha! Just kidding I think I would have a hard time drinking my own spit let alone sending it in for a judge to have to take a swallow of it! :)
Jbug

Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:39 pm

The hot rod was awesome too! I'm assuming the rye doesn't contribute any to color? Chocolate malt?

It's also got a real silky mouthfeel... Nice beer!
Jbug

Previous

Return to Beer Reviews