"Hefeweizen" gluten free?

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:45 am

Hi there and regards from Germany (please, my English....)

:shock:

First, I like Hefeweizen (how do you call it in English? Yeast-Wheat-Beer?). Here in Bavaria a very popular beer, and we´ve got a lot of good ones here. It is that kind of beer, where you can see the yeast (is that the correct term?) in the glass/bottle.

Now my question: I am looking for a glutenfree "Hefe-Weizen" for a friend. However, I can´t find that.
Why? Is it impossible to brew that kind of beer in a glutenfree way? Can I get it somewhere else?

What I found is glutenfree beer like that, however, this is not what I am looking for.
Any answers/recommendations?

THX for answers
bavarianbeer

Re: "Hefeweizen" gluten free?

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:02 pm

First, Welcome!

Glutens are part of the grains. Barley and even more so, Wheat, has lots of glutens in it. Other grains, such as sorghum, don't.
Hefeweizen (yes, we call it using the German name) derives MUCH of its distinctive flavor from the yeast strain. I have made split batches where I fermented one big batch of wort, and pitched one half with Weihenstephan yeast (Wyeast 3068) and the other half a Kolsch yeast. The beers were COMPLETELY different tasting.

So, I think you can brew using Sorghum extract, hop it with Hallertau (to about 14 IBUs - one bittering addition), and use the Hefeweizen yeast, you will be fine. (Note that you can try to culture the yeast from your favorite Hefeweizen, instead of trying to order the yeast specially.).

http://morebeer.com/view_product/7471/b ... t_3_Pounds

I suggest you read the description of the extract at the link above, too.

Good Luck and please let us know how it goes!
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:18 am

I think the OP is looking for a commercially available beer.
Quin

Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:58 am

As BDawg said, you can use non-gluten containing malts fermented with hefe yeast (although be aware that yeast propagated in wort may contain some gluten) and get somewhat close. That being said, if you are looking for a commercial beer, I'm not aware of any. GF beers are a very small part of the market, and while it's growing, there are not a wide variety of styles represented.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Return to Beer Reviews