Dogfish 120 Minute

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:06 am

When do you think it tastes the best? How long should I keep them in my cellar? I am thinking 3-5 years. I have cellared a lot of other beers but I want to know if anyone has any experience cellaring them.
Corporal in the BN army
Certified Beer Server
Ghost

Re: Dogfish 120 Minute

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:37 am

I don't think I would cellar an IPA of any sort...these beers are meant to be drank fresh so as to enjoy the hops...after a month or two the hops will drop off quickly and be unimpressive at best...cellar the barley wines, big stouts, belgian stuff, and the sour stuff and drink the IPAs fresh like they were intended...just my .02

Cheers! :pop
On Deck: porter, berliner weisse
Fermenting: xtra pale
In the keg/bottle: golden delicious apple cider, brown rice lager, german pils
EL TIZZO

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:05 am

As strong of a beer as it is, Dogfish tends to release their beers when they feel they are ready to drink, and since it is an IPA with lots of hops and hop aroma, then I too would drink it up. If you have two bottles, then drink one now and cellar one (in the fridge) till winter.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:50 am

brewinhard wrote:As strong of a beer as it is, Dogfish tends to release their beers when they feel they are ready to drink, and since it is an IPA with lots of hops and hop aroma, then I too would drink it up. If you have two bottles, then drink one now and cellar one (in the fridge) till winter.

+1 Drink it up! Although my suggestion would be to save one for a DOTW run and chug it on air... Just sayin
theobrew

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:51 am

I second the drink it right now. No I mean right f'in now!
CRBrewHound

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:42 pm

I had some 2006 120 on draft a few weeks ago in Louisville... it was pretty damned good... REALLY good actually. Damned near perfect.
This was the older 22% stuff though. I don't know that the newer stuff would hold up quite so well.
I'm sick of chasing my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later.
tlael

Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:28 pm

tlael wrote:I had some 2006 120 on draft a few weeks ago in Louisville... it was pretty damned good... REALLY good actually. Damned near perfect.
This was the older 22% stuff though. I don't know that the newer stuff would hold up quite so well.

My god, 22%! What did they serve it in, a shot glass? :aaron
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:04 pm

I got 6 of them when they last released them. I had one right away. And a couple more over the last few months. I have 3 more and I want to see how it tastes as it develops. Delilah's in Chicago holds a vintage ale festival every year because the owner Mike buys a crazy amount of beer every year and just lets it sit in the walk in coolers for years. I've had the pleasure of tasting a ton of different beers over the years at all different stages including a porter from 1997 a couple years ago. So I'm always curious how different beers will age even those that aren't traditionally aged. But generally I agree on drinking ipa's right away. Although I did find a bottle of Blind Pig in the back of my beer fridge. Of course thats the bottle with "Do Not Age" written all over the label. I'm sure its lost a good amount of hop flavor since its about 9 months old already. Oh well.
Corporal in the BN army
Certified Beer Server
Ghost

Next

Return to Beer Reviews