Better Beer Authority

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:04 pm

So I've been doing some video beer reviews with a local production that posts the reviews to youtube, and so far it's been a blast. Got to try some interesting stuff so far. The ones where I'm wearing BN gear haven't posted yet, but check out our review of Stone Enjoy By IPA...

And Dark Horse Plead the 5th Imperial Stout

If you like the videos, check out the other ones that The Better Beer Authority has done of the the last few years, they've grown quite a bit, and I'm just a recent addition to their review panel roster. Their initial review of Arrogant Bastard made some waves in the internet beer scene (the also had a good followup interview with Greg Koch). It was interesting for me to see their early shows, see them grow and develop, and then be able to join in and contribute, much the way I feel about the BN.

Anyway, feel free to check it out.
:jnj

3/18/13 edit: For reference, this is the scale used in the reviews. It's scaled so that most beers should fall out in the 5-7 range in a bell curve:

BBA Rating Scale
10 – Best of the Best – personal favorite – You would put this in your top five beers - only one in every 40-50 beers should receive this high honor

9 – Very Highly Recommended – This is a beer that you are excited to drink – You recommend it to everyone and buy it whenever available - only one in every 15-20 beers should receive this honor

8 – Recommended – Solid beer, with nice flavor and presentation – would happily drink it or buy it when available and would even recommend others do the same.

7 – Good – Has a nice flavor and presentation – would drink it any day of the week and would choose it over other beers at a bar, restaurant or store.

6 – Slightly Above Average – would happily drink another, but probably wouldn't inspire you to seek it out later

5 – Average – Can finish the beer, would have another if that was the all that was available, but probably wouldn't seek it out later.

4 – Sub Par – can finish this beer, but probably wouldn't have another.

3 – Off-putting – has off-putting flavors and aromas – can’t finish this beer.

2 – Disgusting – has odd flavors and aromas – one sip is too many, can’t finish this beer – may be skunked

1 – Spit it out – Drinking this would make you sick – Could be a skunked beer/bad batch – A beer this bad would have a hard time staying on the market, therefore this is a very rare rating.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Re: Better Beer Authority

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:27 pm

Spidey wants a STRAP-ON!

BWAAAHAHAHAHA!
:unicornrainbow:
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:30 pm

BDawg wrote:Spidey wants a STRAP-ON!

BWAAAHAHAHAHA!
:unicornrainbow:

I was wondering who was gonna comment on that.... :) :unicornrainbow:
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:06 am

So I had to watch the review of Dark Horse Plead The Fifth. Now where the f can I purchase it? No luck on the web. :(
Sqhead

Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:31 am

What part of the country are you in? Distribution is limited to the Great Lakes region and a bit along the middle East Coast. I don't even think it's one that I can get in OH, our state doesn't consider stuff above 12% to be beer...
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:44 am

Spiderwrangler = the next Michael Jackson (not the one with the glove but who knows)! :asshat:
Nice job Brotha! Looks like fun. :jnj
Keep on Brewin'
Captain Carrot

"Beer makes everything more fun!" (me)
captain carrot

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:27 am

spiderwrangler wrote:What part of the country are you in? Distribution is limited to the Great Lakes region and a bit along the middle East Coast. I don't even think it's one that I can get in OH, our state doesn't consider stuff above 12% to be beer...

I'm in South Jersey. I have seen Crooked Tree in Philly, but that is it from Dark Horse.I'll keep checking local bottle shops for it.
Sqhead

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:53 am

Another one just posted up, Heady Topper. First video where I'm sporting a BN hat and Hairy-tick shirt!

Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Beer Reviews