Re: 2013 Top 50 Beers in the World

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:37 am

Ozwald wrote:
CRBrewHound wrote:
PorkSlapper wrote:On a sidenote doesnt it seem that the Midwest is kicking the West Coast's ass on these lists?

Not surprizing, Everyone on the westcoast is busy growing pot and getting stoned, suprized they still have enough brain cells to even remember how to brew.

Hey, just cause some of us can lose a thermometer that's laying right in front of us in under 15 seconds... :lol:

You just reprogram yourself so that every time you hear a beeping noise, you instinctively grab the closest container of hops & look for something large, hot & shiny. Brewing is the perfect hobby for a stoner. You stand around, drink beer & watch the mashtun like you're expecting it to do something cool. Psshh, easy.

+1
CRBrewHound

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:00 pm

That assumes you've remembered to set the timer...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:58 am

theobrew wrote:
ACESFULL wrote:These lists should be renamed... They should be called 50 hype train beers.

There are good beers on this list hell maybe even great but a lot of them come with a shit ton of hype. I have found that with said hype the beers dont live up to said hype. 1 example for me is Heady Topper. Is it a good beer yep but worth the hype and bullshit to trade for it. Not a chance. The Hill Farmstead beers have been a lot of the same. Good solid beers but to much hype. Or at least I am/was expecting more from them.

A couple of comments... First, no beer list will be perfect. Too many variables to be able to honestly complete a best beers list.

This is exactly why I dislike Best of lists.

theobrew wrote:Take for example this year's list and the sours that are on it. Without much doubt many people would say cantillon is top of sours, however, this year the first sour on the list is from CCB. Now I'll be the first to say that CCB makes great beers but I've had the pilot series Berliner Weisse and while it is a great beer I can't say it is better than all the other sours I have had.

You make my point well with this statement.

theobrew wrote:Also, the moment you try and make a top list you automatically create hype if the list maker has any kind of credibility. I say this because there are countless blogs out there making lists of the best this or the best that... because these blogs don't have the credibility to back them up if someone disagrees with the list they chalk it up to the lists problem and not theirs. However, once a credible source like ratebeer makes a list, all of a sudden if that beer isn't the best beer we no longer blame the list but we blame the system.

Not discounting beer blogs or ratebeer. To me lists in general lack why a beer is good, rather than some abritary list of over hyped beers with nothing backing up why they are where they are.

theobrew wrote:Each and every beer list that ever comes out needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I had an amazing sour that was dry flowered with actual flour pedals a few weeks ago and it would have held its own against CCB's pilot series BW or the couple cantillons I've had. But because they are a nanobrewery in the unheard of city of Longwood, FL they don't even touch the list.

Again another reason to not like lists. They arent objective in any way. Its based solely on the authors likes dislikes. Think of it like a wet finger in the air. What is the list being based off of. Hype of things is contagious take Heady Topper for example. Is it a good beer, yes of course. Is it worth the $16 for 4 of them maybe. This is a beer that sells out crazy fast and Alchemist cant make enough to cover the demand. Does that make it a top # beer depends. I personally wasnt a fan of the beer. Good yes but many other IPA's that are way better. Not mention what it takes to land this beer if you are outside VT.

theobrew wrote:Let the list of beers be what the list of beers will be. A celebration of good craft beer. Obviously none of the beers that make the lists is a bad beer. And if you happen to find beers that match or are even better than beers on the list, promote them. Tell your friends, tell the BN network. Today we have so much good beer that it can be difficult to sift through the good from the bad.

While I agree with it being a list of beers and being a celebration of craft beer I cant agree with every beer on this list being bad. Much like the list it self its subjective. I agree with if you find better beers promote them with friends and trading partners. This is where the hype train pulls into the station. Drink beer & support all things craft beer but take "Best Of Lists" with a grain of salt. At least IMO.

theobrew wrote:Again my 2 cents :)

:aaron

Same Here...
ACESFULL

Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:03 pm

I stopped reading a quarter way through that, but there might be a spot left on the feelings calendar if anyone needs it. :jnj
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Beer Reviews