Re: brake pads

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:16 am

I have the best anwser (or at least I think so). You should call your local brake place, and make an appointment. Then goto your Kezzer and pour yourself a pint for doing such a great job calling the brake place and making an appointment....LoL
Trying to make the best homebrew, to pass across any ones palette!
chugly

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:14 pm

I've got it figured out. I simply have ceramic brake padss. I called an O'Rielly parts store and they told me that the vac-assist or hydraulic assist would have been upgrades or aftermarket brakes which I don't have. The guys at autozone spoke as if it had to be one or the other. Turns out it is neither.
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:57 am

chugly wrote:I have the best anwser (or at least I think so). You should call your local brake place, and make an appointment. Then goto your Kezzer and pour yourself a pint for doing such a great job calling the brake place and making an appointment....LoL

... Or pour yourself a pint and walk out to the garage and do it yourself. Then you can take the money that you saved on labor and brew more beer :jnj :jnj :jnj

Really changing the break pads is a super easy job assuming it's disk breaks. You really only need a couple sockets and a C clamp. The last few times I have replaced mine it has taken maybe an hour from start to finish for both the front breaks.
forcera

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:30 pm

forcera wrote:
... Or pour yourself a pint and walk out to the garage and do it yourself. Then you can take the money that you saved on labor and brew more beer :jnj :jnj :jnj

Really changing the break pads is a super easy job assuming it's disk breaks. You really only need a couple sockets and a C clamp. The last few times I have replaced mine it has taken maybe an hour from start to finish for both the front breaks.

Thanks forcera, I have done plenty of homework. I picked up a floorjack today and bought the pads. I will not have time to get to it until at least Sunday, probably Monday. I feel like I can handle this with no problems, maybe a little confusion, but I think I can handle it. I will probably save pouring the pint for after I have tested the brakes out and see that they work!!
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:59 am

bazookazilla wrote:Thanks forcera, I have done plenty of homework. I picked up a floorjack today and bought the pads. I will not have time to get to it until at least Sunday, probably Monday. I feel like I can handle this with no problems, maybe a little confusion, but I think I can handle it. I will probably save pouring the pint for after I have tested the brakes out and see that they work!!

How did this turn out?
Bad Goat Brewing

Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:45 am

Hopefully we dont have to hand out another Fallen Soldier award. Crushed soldier may be more appropriate.

:jnj -Pork
Bottled: fresh hop pale ale
On tap: Moose bile strong ale
In the cellar: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial Stout
Lagering:
In the fermenter: Moose drool clone
In the works: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial stout
PorkSlapper

Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:31 am

Bad Goat Brewing wrote:How did this turn out?

I got the pads changed out with no issues at all. However, they are still squealing when in use and when not in use. I picked up some brake grease yesterday that I'm gonna put on them on Monday and see if that quiets them down. Turns out the old ones were only about halfway worn down, but they were making so much noise I thought they were worn out. The new ones are just as loud. :x
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:09 am

Were the old brake pads evenly worn? Ie Same amount of material on the top and bottom of each pad, the inner and outer pad equal thickness?

Did all of the pistons press in with a similar effort?

Did you grease the guide pins?

Does the sound change when you press on the brake pedal?

Did you clean the track the pads ride?
Bad Goat Brewing

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Stuff