chance to "work" at a brewery

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:05 pm

So I am college senior and my fall semester is coming to a close so I have been planning for the next semester and this funny one month term in January my school does. I was actually very studious in my previous years and am at a point where I do not have to do this small term anymore and I can take fewer classes next semester. This would mean I would have 6 weeks of doing nothing between semesters. I do not really like to sit around and do nothing so I started thinking about finding something to do. I had heard of people volunteering at breweries so I started looking around.

There is a new and fairly small brewery called Euryvale Brewing in Riverside California that my mom happens to know the family of. All she did was tell me that they existed and I sent them a quick Facebook message. Much to my surprise, they said they would love to have me... So now I have the possibility to work, for free i am assuming, at a small new brewery. I would be stupid to say no right? I did not think I would get this far. I have never had their beer which makes me a little nervous, but it would be a cool experience.
Brewshki

Re: chance to "work" at a brewery

Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:20 pm

Stop in and try their beers. You can't go wrong doing that.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:42 am

Agreed. Go try some of their beers.

And don't commit to anything until you sober up ;)
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:43 pm

Do an interview. Ask questions (but not too many).

Working in a brewery is interesting. It's a lot of fun, and a lot of hard work. My experience in our startup was that everyone wears a lot of hats. One day you're wiring an outlet and pulling gas lines, and the next you're forking pallets of grain off a truck and diagnosing a mill malfunction. It can be sweaty, back breaking labor, and really cool all at the same time.

No guts no glory. Right? Go for it!

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:40 am

Ummmm....I didn't actually see any real beer brewing in your post.... :)
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:33 pm

Brewing? Oh! There wasn't a lot of brewing for the first six months or so except pilot batches, so brewing. But then things settled down and we got the production rig up and running. It was a beautiful sight. There was stainless steel everywhere!
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:52 pm

I think I am going to do it unless their beer is just really bad. I am going into public accounting once I graduate (and getting my CPA) and I think this may be my last chance to do something a little less mundane. you never know what the future holds, but i think it will be fun. Part of the reason I like home brewing is actually all of the cleaning and all of the weird jobs; it means I am not sitting at a desk and there is a product at the end. I think it could provide some good memories for later on.

in brighter news, my first all grain brew is about to be done carbonating!!!
Brewshki

Return to Off Topic Stuff